Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Do you always trust your intuitions??? YOU SHOULD!

I've decided that I am ALWAYS going to trust my inner voice. There have been times in my life that I haven't listened to the inner voice & I've always regretted it even if it was a simple small issue. There's times that we brush off that voice within and justify it as just our craziness, or our own crazy anxiety talking to us, but how many times have you brushed it off and then regretted it afterwards and told yourself NEVER EVER will I brush off that voice with in even for something small, and then we do it anyhow? I am guilty!
Yesterday I was taught a valuable lesson about that inner voice. I really do try to pay attention when it's so strong you can't ignore the feeling but I did contemplate not listening thinking I'd be better off, but I'm glad I didn't. I drove Aaron to work yesterday morning & as you all have heard on the news, I'm sure, Utah County has been effected horribly by the inversion and the fog each morning and night has been just horrible. Yesterday was no exception it was the worst I've seen it. We got to his work fine, but took it extremely slow. You could only see maybe a quarter mile ahead of you and its just freaky cuz you feel like your in this box and its sorta claustrophobic. I dropped him off about 8:15 and then decided to stop at 7-11 & grab a slurpee because I'm pregnant and enjoy a frozen drink when I can get it. Then, I buckled A'jaye back up tight and I buckled up which I NEVER hardly do (I know NUTS) and I started messing with my phone getting back to a friend that had texted me the night before and just sat there for more then 10min or so taking my time as if I had nothing else to do but for some reason I was not in a hurry, now I know that was also a blessing.
We got on the freeway, A'jaye and I (the other girls were left at home w/Derian babysitting) & began for home. The fog was still really bad and it almost seemed worse then when I came over. You couldn't see the other side of the freeway, and if cars didn't have their lights on you couldn't see them until you got right up on them, which just scared me. I was going about 50mph, or less, but cars were passing me right and left I couldn't believe it. We kept on down the freeway & made our way to Spanish Fork, then to the Benjamin exit. Just right after that exit about 1/2 mile or so out of the corner of my eye I see all these men running towards me with flares in their hands, they just kept coming one by one. I was in the fast lane, why I don't know (another blessing) & all of a sudden I had to slam on my breaks QUICK. Two things were going for me, I wasn't going that fast, I had seen the men and started slowing down, & I was in the fast lane. Right in front of me, literally, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME was a HUGE wreck involving 2 diesels and about 3-4 cars I couldn't tell. I was 2nd car on the scene after it happened that wasn't involved. It had JUST HAPPENED minutes before. Two diesels some how collided. I looked over at the red diesel in the slow lane and the whole driver side was completely smashed in the other diesel involved was width wise on the freeway had I not seen the men, I would've smashed into the truck in front of me then that diesel. There were several (3-4) cars in between the diesels that had also been involved.
Traffic obviously was at a stand still, no one could get by this the complete freeway was blocked off by the diesels and cars piled up between them. I was in the fast lane, THANK goodness so after sitting there a few minute (5min). The truck in front of me went down into the barrow pit & went around the diesel that was blocking both lanes. I sat there another 30sec or so and had this STRONG overwhelming sense to follow him. I hesitated because I didn't know if I could legally do that, you know how you question if its the right thing to do or not? No one was hurt, that I could see, and I had asked the girl standing right outside her car if she needed any help or needed to use my phone or not, and she said she was ok. The feeling just kept stronger in my mind and almost got louder. I kept hearing all these break screeching noises & when one got really loud I went down into the barrow pit and back up on the freeway. I just felt like if I stayed there I was going to be in a mess. I looked in my rear view mirror and could see the damage that was behind me and just was sorta shook up thinking to myself had I not stopped and got a drink I would've been either involved or something......you can't help but think that. Then you start thinking, how unknowingly you do something out of your normal routine, why? I got home to my girls awake and eating breakfast, and went on with my day as if nothing had happened and I didn't think about it beyond then.
Later that night, I sat down after not sitting all day long & watched the 5:00 news on Channel 2 & they started talking about the fog in Utah County and the huge pile up wreck between Spanish Fork and Payson. I listened of course because I was there, and it showed the diesels, and the car that was owned by the girl that I talked to, and then it showed the car that was behind me it was SMASHED UP pretty good. The reporter went on to say that two diesels had collided and other cars smashed into each other trying to avoid the diesel wreck, which was the 3-4 other cars that I seen were involved. Then he mentioned that after the first initial wreck several other pile ups occurred due to cars going to fast and not seeing because of the fog and wrecking into the already mess of cars . When I seen the car behind me wrecked and seen how badly it was smashed up I just sat there in shock knowing that had I stayed there, had I not listened to that still small voice (that was actually sorta loud in my head, nothing still or small about that), had I fought against what I felt I would've been hit as well, and who knows how badly, maybe not badly at all, but you never know. I felt bad that the guy behind me didn't follow us and maybe what we did wasn't right, but I could just say that God told me to do it, right? He did tell me right or wrong he did prompt me to follow the truck before me and so I did with hesitation but I am glad I got out of there and without being hit. They closed the freeway down for 4 HOURS.
Anyhow, that was a long story but with me everything is a long story, you all know this about me, you should be used to it by now, right?
So, moral of the story is........ LISTEN to the not so still, LOUD voice when its there, don't ignore it even if you think that it's not a big deal because it could be a big deal if you don't listen to it. Like I mentioned earlier, there hasn't been a time that I didn't regret it when I didn't listen to that voice. Its' important & God has given us this blessing to protect & guide us throughout our lives & its up to us to either use it or ignore it. I don't always do the right things in my life, & I'm far from perfect. I don't always live my life religiously, going to church or studying the scriptures, BUT I have ALWAYS believed in God, prayed daily, & I've always payed close attention to my feelings, sometimes known as the still small voice. We all have intuitions & we should never take that gift God gave us all for granted, I know I defiantly won't after this experience especially.

2 comments:

kathleen said...

oh my dear daughter, that still small voice is always there and like you said sometimes we listen and sometimes we dont. I am so thankful you listened!That could of been bad and I am thankful I pray for my children and family every day. Prayer is my safety zone, comfort zone, and sanity zone. I am thankful that you are ok!!! Mom

Amanda and Chad said...

AAAHH!! I don't like this story.. it gives me the creeps! I am SOOO glad you guys are safe and you followed your intuitions. It's so nice to have the holy ghost in our lives, isn't it? I knew I always loved Slurpees, but now I love them even more because it probably saved yours & my sweet baby AJ's lives!