Monday, December 8, 2008

Tis the Season.........

to think about Santa, or to think about the Savior and all he has given and sacrificed for our lives?
I've really been bothered lately by something my Mother in law Susan told me about a month or so ago when we were talking about Christmas and the different ways we celebrate it. Ever sense I talked with her its had me thinking a great deal about how we're teaching our children and the message we send to them.
She told me that she never taught her kids about the legend of Santa nor did Santa ever visit their homes. Its how she was taught growing up to so it was no big deal to her to continue that tradition on to her family. She made me realize thru talking that maybe putting so much focus on "Santa" isn't the best message to send our kids. As I drive by homes I pay attention to the themes of the decor and I see more Santa Clauses then I do Nativity scenes or angels and things like that. We make a big deal about Santa Clause, and the gifts he brings when your a good kid and good student, but is what we're teaching our kids the right thing? This is what I've been asking myself ever sense I talked with Susan.
She said growing up, and also with her kids she was never denied, NOR did she deny her kids anything that other kids got during Christmas the only difference was they woke up Christmas morning to not "Santa" gifts, but gifts given by loved ones, their parents, and others. They got the normal things, a stocking filled with goodies and small trinkets, something sat out as if Santa had brought it, and gifts under the tree. The things they got however were given by people that loved them most, and that is what they were taught, the gift of giving to those you love and others. They put focus on family, love, giving, the true meaning of CHRISTmas, and not the make believe, or commercialized things that come with Christmas too. She said that she grew up with no resentment, or feelings of being denied anything from her childhood but more of a appreciation of the things they were given because they new where it came from it didn't come from a "magic bag" where Santa has an endless supply of money and gifts.
I tell ya, this really has me thinking if we're teaching our kids that Santa is the theme for Christmas rather then Christ, and his birth and what he brought to the world and to our lives.
When I see people shorten Christmas and put Xmas, it makes me sick. You might as well be "X-"ing out Christ, cuz that's what it reminds me of. I refuse to ever write it that way even in texting and I'm trying to shorten everything I write, I did it once and it bothered me all day. I think alot of people, maybe even myself at times, get caught up in "Santa" and X out Christ in Christmas, not on purpose but just because you get caught up in the whole holiday thing for your kids and the fun of it all. I ask myself though now if that's not giving them false belief or even putting the wrong message out there.
I know growing up my parents, along with many others, did the "Santa" thing, and I know that although we were very excited about Santa coming we also knew what Christmas was really about and just like my mother in law Susan wasn't denied anything from childhood by not having a Santa, I wasn't taught any less about Christ and the true meaning of Christmas by having a Santa so I guess we just can't let ourselves get caught up in the whole "Santa" part of CHRISTmas but rather put more of our time and focus on Christ and his life.
What my mother in law, Susan said that day really made me think ALOT, and I still do think about it. I know that my kids believe in Santa, and to take that away from them now I can't do, but I look at Kymbree, and A'jaye and the baby coming and wonder....mmmmm, do I? I think what we're doing this year is the right thing for us to do....we're only having "Santa" bring ONE thing and their stocking the rest is coming from people they love and they will know that. Santa is a fun part of Christmas, its fun for the kids and fun for the parents but I think sometimes we do put to much focus on that part of Christmas instead of the real meaning. Santa can NOT over due Christ and the true meaning of why we have Christmas.
Anyhow...those are my thoughts this week.....this has been on my mind for a long time. I guess it bothered me that As a Mormon, a religion focused on Christ and living Christ like, we sometimes put more focus on the commercialized part of Christmas then we should. We profess Christmas is about Christ but is it? maybe at some point we all put to much focus on the other parts of Christmas then we should but we need to get back to the core....
Its easy to get caught up in the "fun" parts of Christmas, Santa, reindeer, his sleigh and how he gets to all the kids, and listening for the bells, his magic bag, and making food for his reindeer. The kids love this and their imaginations are endless, ....I think that having the belief of Santa in our homes is ok, but it should be a very SMALL part about Christmas. There's so much more to teach our kids that is meaningful and real.
One thing I know for sure is that Christmas is about FAMILY and spending time together, and family traditions small or big. The smallest things you do as a family each year are the things that stick with them the most. Like our Lloyd Christmas tree, even this touches Aaron. He thinks its the neatest thing ever that my parents tree consist of everything us kids ever made as kids, the popcorn strung that has held up for 28+ yrs, the ornaments we painted together each year. Its fun to look at it each year and remember those times we had. Those are the kind of things that stick with kids and mean so much to them as they get older. Small and simple things......
I don't remember everything I ever got for Christmas or what I didn't get I remember the family things we did together and that is what we need to remember as parents.

love ya guys

1 comment:

Amanda and Chad said...

I think about these things every time Christmas comes around. And now that I have Paislee, I especially want her to know the TRUE meaning of Christmas. Christmas means Christ's birth, but Santa and the Family Traditions are a fun part of Christmas too. I think you can easily do Santa, the Tree & Decorations, Christmas Music, and Family Traditions, and still remember the REAL reason for Christmas. Santa is a giving person, and I think we can use him as another example of the kind of person Jesus is. You know the Night Before Christmas story? I bought a book a few years ago called "The Night of Christs Birth" and it does all the rhyming like the other story.. but focuses on Christ instead of the fun Christmas. I love the book and I bought it for my kids' to enjoy at Christmas time, I will have to show you it sometime. I think you would like it. Anyways, my thoughts too.